Class of 2015 features Olympic gold medalist, Super Bowl Champion, 16-year MLB veteran, NBA Champion and more.
PORTSMOUTH, VA – The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame announced its class of 2015 on Tuesday at the Virginia State Capitol in Richmond, as chosen by the statewide Honors Court committee.
The Class of 2015 features:
- Fletcher Arritt, former basketball coach at Fork Union Military Academy who after 46 years at the helm, compiled 890 wins and won over 75 percent of his games ;
- Cherie Greer Brown, an All-American lacrosse player at the University of Virginia and National Lacrosse Hall of Fame inductee;
- Johnny Grubb, a Richmond native and 16-year Major League veteran who helped lead the Detroit Tigers to a World Series Championship in 1984;
- Paul Hatcher, a basketball coach at Robert E. Lee High School in Staunton for 43 years, Hatcher compiled 897 victories and a winning percentage of 84 percent;
- Angela Hucles, a Virginia Beach native and former University of Virginia soccer player who won two Olympic gold medals playing for the United States women’s soccer team;
- Mike Stevens, a former Sports Director of Southwest Virginia’s CBS affiliate WDBJ-7, where he served as a reporter, lead anchorman and did live play-by-play broadcasts for 23 years;
- Ben Wallace, a Virginia Union graduate and 16-year NBA veteran who won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year four times and led the Detroit Pistons to an NBA Championship.
President of the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame, Eddie Webb notes, “This class represents longevity. If you look at the careers of any of the new inductees, the athletes played at least ten years, the coaches coached for over 40 years, and our media inductee has been in sports for over three decades. We have almost 200 years of sports excellence amongst our new inductees.”
The 44th Annual Induction Banquet will take place on Saturday, April 25, 2015 at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront Conference Center in Portsmouth, VA as the headline event of Hall of Fame weekend. Tickets are now on sale. For more information, call (757) 393-8031 or